For the first time in awhile, McDonald’s reported a drop in same store sales … and fired the U.S. President.
Now, industry mavens are proffering advice for turning things around …
Reported in USA Today, here are some of the ideas:
- Push new products, new meal occasions and acta bit less fast-food-ish and a bit more like Panera or Chipotle.
- Fix dinner … dinner is where McDonald’s struggles most … make dinner far more inviting with a dish that isn’t just another sandwich … such as a more upscale chopped steak platter … add baked potatoes at dinner
- Serve breakfast all day … “bring back customers who come for McMuffins, but not burgers.”
- More monthly specials … limited-time-only products, such as McRibs, are huge …have a new one every month to keep folks returning.
- Sell sausage … put a $1 bratwurst — not a hot dog — on the menu
- Stop price creep … food got too expensive at McDonald’s .. “reinvigorate” the $1 price point “to reconnect with price-conscious consumers.”
- Consider home delivery … Burger King is testing home delivery, and McDonald’s should, too.
- Lure Millennials. Much like the Republican party, McDonald’s must appeal more to women, minorities and Millennials.
= = = = =
1) Geez, don’t panic guys … there is a tough economy out there
2) Stay true to your core … remember when Taco Bell tried to go upscale and started to lose its base – young males looking for cheap food.
3) It’s all about the dollar menu – the McDouble for $1 is a powerful magnet !
* * * * *