This is getting downright silly.
Sequestration will cut less than 3% of Federal spending … about the amount that was granted to Hurricane Sandy states in the whisk of a pen.
Still, President Obama had to broadcast dire consequences in front of a group of firemen … who will have to be laid off, probably causing small children to die in fires.
Give me a break.
We covered this topic earlier this week Football, band, honors classes and hot lunches … here we go again.
Apparently, the folks at Business Insider didn’t read the post.
An article titled “11 Ways The Sequestration Will Ravage The US Government“ … replete with an alarming picture of dead cows.
Technical note: It’s no clear o me how the sequestration will do the cows in.
Also, it’s not clear to me that the cows aren’t just taking a snooze.
What are the 11 Ways The Sequestration Will Ravage The US Government?
According to Business Insider, the $85 billion might seem like a drop in the bucket, but the indiscriminate cuts will have consequences.
Because these are apparently the only possible cuts for the Feds to make
- Army training will be drastically cut
- Military health care will be slashed
- The Joint Strike Fighter Program might be cut
- The military will have to cut funding for ammunition and fuel
- FBI agents will see furloughs
- NASA will be more reliant on Russia
- Nuclear weapons security will get A huge cut
- Foreign aid will be gutted
- Food inspection will get slammed
- Thousands of Air Traffic Controllers could lose their jobs
- Thousands of children won’t get vaccines
Famine, floods, pestilence .. get the picture.
All of the other $3.5 trillion is even more critical than these expenditures.
Gimme a break.
Tomorrow I’ll propose an out-of-the box way to doge this potentially catastrophic bullet.