For an update see our later post How many millionaires & billionaires are there in the US ?
* * * * *
From the BusinessInsider.com :
- In 2009, the number of millionaires in the United States rose 16 percent to 7.8 million.
- The top 10% of Americans now earn around 50% of our national income.
- 83 percent of all U.S. stocks are in the hands of 1 percent of the people.
- The bottom 80 percent of American households held about 7% of the liquid financial assets.
- The bottom 50 percent of income earners in the United States now collectively own less than 1 percent of the nation’s wealth.
- 61 percent of Americans “always or usually” live paycheck to paycheck, which isup from 49 percent in 2008 and 43 percent in 2007.
- More than 40 million Americans are on food stamps.
- 21 percent of all children in the United States are living below the poverty line
- 36 percent of Americans say that they don’t contribute anything to retirement savings.
- 43 percent of Americans have less than $10,000 saved up for retirement.
- 24% of American workers say that they have postponed their planned retirement age in the past year.
- The average federal worker now earns 60% MORE than the average worker in the private sector.
- More than 40% of Americans who are employed are now working in service jobs.
- In China a garment worker makes approximately 86 cents an hour and in Cambodia a garment worker makes approximately 22 cents an hour.
* * * * *